EWRB Electrical Service Technician
Provided for Electrical Service Technician registration, this course includes theory, regulations and standards plus practical skill assessments.
You'll learn the practical skills associated with maintenance and servicing including identifying components of appliances, locating, identifying and isolating sources of supply on a switchboard and much more.
By the time you complete the course, you will have passed EWRB practical assessments and be ready to sit the EWRB Electrical Appliance Serviceperson written exam.
You’ll also be able to apply for registration as an Electrical Appliance Serviceperson once you’ve passed the practical assessments, written exam and completed 18 months of prescribed maintenance of electrical appliances rated up to 230 volts, single phase supplied via plug and flexible cord.
Please contact the EWRB on 0800 66 10 00 for more information on the 18 months of prescribed work.
- The electricity supply system
- The isolation of electrical appliances from the electricity supply
- The servicing of fixed wired appliances
- Understanding the special requirements for damp situations
- Understanding the special requirements for hazardous locations
- The operation of the Safety Tag system
- The principles and methods circuit protection
- The operation and use of residual current devices (RCDs)
- The principles of operation of commonly used electric motors
- The operation of direct on line motor starters
- The safe disconnection and reconnection of electrical conductors
- The methods of connecting electrical appliances to the electricity supply in accordance with industry practice
- The use and understanding of the Electrical Regulations, Standards and Codes of Practice
- An understanding of the limits of work and other responsibilities of 'B' level registration holders
Please note: You will be charged an associated external fee (if applicable) plus a portion of the compulsory Student Services Levy that supports our services available to students. For full information on the compulsory Student Services Levy, visit fees and finance.
How to Apply
If there is a green "View Dates & Apply" button near the top right hand of this page:
- click on the button
- select the relevant course option
- click "apply"
- fill in the online form and click "submit"
If there is no green "View Dates & Apply" button near the top right hand of this page: